What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file that is placed on to your computer when you visit a website.
Cookies are used by almost all websites and perform a number of functions like remembering your preferences, playing videos, recording what you have put in your shopping basket, and counting the number of visitors to a website.
The rules on cookies are covered in the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR). The Regulations were last revised in 2018, and the Information Commissioner's Office is responsible for enforcing these rules.
How do these regulations impact me?
You may come across information about cookies on websites and be given choices about how some cookies are used. This might include, for example, being asked to consent to a cookie being used for a particular service, such as remembering your preferences on a site.
You can use your Internet browser to:
- delete all cookies;
- block all cookies;
- allow all cookies;
- block third party cookies;
- clear all cookies when you close the browser; or
- open a ‘private browsing’ / ‘incognito’ session, which allows you to browse the internet without storing local data.
You can find more information on how to control cookies using your browser here:
Internet Explorer cookies information
Chrome cookies information
Firefox cookies information
Safari cookies information
Opera cookies information
We use a range of cookies on our website:
- Strictly required cookies - they are required for the website to run and cannot be switched off. You can set your browser to block these cookies but this might affect the way our site is working.
- Analytics and statistics - they allow us to measure visitors traffic and see traffic sources by collecting information in data sets. They also help us understand which pages and actions are more popular than others in order to improve and enhance our user's experience.
- Marketing and re-targeting - they are usually set by our marketing partners. They may be used by them to build a profile of your interest and later show you relevant ads. If you do not allow these cookies you will not experience targeted ads for your interests.
For all strictly required cookies, our lawful basis for processing is legitimate interests. In all other cases (in accordance with EU and UK law) we obtain valid user consent to process.
Upon visiting our site you will be presented with a cookie consent bar. If you click accept you have consented to the use of all cookies. If you closed the banner you declined consent and only strictly required cookies will be operating. You can distinguish between different types of cookies in Cookie Preferences.
In future you can view and manage your cookies settings via your own browser (as above) or by visiting Cookie Preferences.
Smarter Data Protection Ltd
Unit 15, Riverside Industrial Estate
Essex, SS4 1BS
Tel: 01702 596002
If this does not resolve your compliant to your satisfaction, you may lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the United Kingdom’s Supervisory Authority.
Information Commissioner’s Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Tel: 0303 123 1113